Friday, April 27, 2012

Learned a lot about learning!

Learning Theories is done, and it was a good class. I am now motivated to learn more about motivation, that's for sure! What an interesting and complex topic. Many of the things I learned helped me to better understand workplace learning and motivation, since being a student is not my current full-time job. I think that if more students were given the opportunity to explore their learning styles, they'd be better able to metacognate some self-help measures.

My daughter was fortunate enough to attend a middle and high school that had the luxury of being able to take the time to help students reflect on their learning. It is sad that teachers in K-12 are not all in a situation or position to be able to help students in this way, and work together with students on a more individualized basis. By the time the students get to college, content experts take over, and learning how to learn seems to take a back seat. I see many instances where pedagogy is just not cutting it.

I wonder if technology can help more students in this way, by first helping them explore their personality and learning style strengths and weaknesses.

No comments:

Post a Comment