Thursday, July 28, 2011

Mystery and Rediscovery

So, after three weeks of mystification, I finally found out from a wonderful person on the WWW that IE9 installs itself as an update to IE8, hence, you can't uninstall it from the Programs menu, but from the Updates folder. After all these days trying to figure out why IE8 was "not compatible with my system," and wanting to strangle Bill Gates, and discovering all the things Google Chrome does and does not like to do, a savior. Thank you so much, person I have to look up again, even though I didn't need to use the screenshots of Windows 7 you also so kindly provide to the world, with your information.

The best experiences I've had on the web have been ones like this, especially the one that showed me how to remove a worm that was going around the world. What a feeling of empowerment, to be able to do it yourself, with a little help from people who aren't even your friends.

I need to thank that person personally. And all this talk (and reading) of "social constructivism," isn't that what just happened today, to me? And don't it feel good? I'm walkin' on sunshine. IE anynumber is a necessary evil for me (32 and 64 bit), as I check website work in three different browsers, just to see what happens. So yes, people, I do know of Firefox, Chrome, Safari et. al. What are all the kids using today? Most likely IE, though.

Rediscovery: I found my Wikispaces account from 2009, when I was trying to learn how to make a wiki. Soon: dryseriouswiki might be ready for you to join!

1 comment:

  1. You are right, most people use IE, especially at work.

    I thought Alexa tracked this, but can't find it. But, for something entertaining, the most popular Web pages:

    http://www.alexa.com/whatshot

    Probably being viewed using IE while at work, too :)

    It don't know what half the things on the list are...but nice to see Journey at number 4...don't stop believing...

    ReplyDelete